St Paul's Anglican Cathedral
is the Mother Church of the Anglican Diocese of Gippsland.

We are a people of Christian faith - encouraging connection between the Divine and the everyday. 

 

 

 

 

. See below for  services

 

 

cathedral
Services at St Paul’s Cathedral when NOT in LOCKDOWN
Sunday Mornings  8am and 10am
Sunday Evenings @ 5pm
1st Sunday of the Month: Healing Service
3rd Sunday of the Month: Contemplative Service
Wednesday 10am
           
Click here for Meditaion and Evening Prayer          
See below for Golden Beach, Kilmany and Loch Sport

Coming events
CLICK underlined events for more information 
InterPlay is on online again next Saturday afternoon. 2pm 31st July

Sing a new Song - Workshop 7th August 
A workshop for clergy, choir leaders, choir members and anyone interested in extending their knowledge of church music in local parishes and communities.
Confirmation Service on 15 August 10am
Archbishop’s Visit to Gippsland – 3-5 September
We look forward to the company of His Grace the Archbishop of Melbourne and Mrs Joy Freier over this weekend, including 
 the Installation of Canons at a service of Choral Evensong at St Paul’s Cathedral in the early evening of Friday 3 September
 

St Paul's Cathedral was built on the current site when the original building in Raymond Street became too small for the congregation. The land was purchased in 1882 for £1,150. 

The cathedral opened in 1884. Designed by Nathaniel Billing, it is a double storey height building constructed of red brick with slate roofing. The interior is decorated in a Gothic style of architecture, characterised by the pointed arches and has rendered plaster walls and oregon roof butressing.

The marble pulpit with brass railings was installed in 1929. The marble was quarried at Buchan in Gippsland, Victoria. The pulpit incorporates a Memorial stone commemorating the first Bishop of Gippsland, the Right Reverend A. W. Pain D.D.

The pipe organ was built by George Fincham in 1882 for music teacher Dr. Joseph S. Summers and purchased from him for £290 in 1884. It was restored in 1981 and is one of the oldest pipe organs still in use in Australia.

The tapestry kneelers remind us that the Cathedral is the Mother Church for many parishes in the Diocese of Gippsland. Each kneeler is inscribed with the name of a parish or Church centre in fine needlepoint.  They were made by people from across the Diocese in a project led by Elizabeth McKenzie to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Diocese in 1977.

LHS Chapter house, which houses the Bishop and Registry staff, RHS of the Cathedral is the new Delbridge Hall.
FROM ROUND WINDOW IN HALL. Fish and fishing is an important part of Gippsland, as was in Jesus' time.
This font was brought from the old St Paul's church, and has been moved to different places around the cathedral.
LOOK UP! Did you know the roof is designed like an upside down boat, and the 'nave' where people sit, comes from the same word as naval?
This cathedral was the second 'St Paul's' Church in Sale. It is the 'mother church' of the Anglican Diocese of Gippsland.
"Music Window :- Philip Handel 1981 It features music score of Handel's "Water Music". The artist, a great nephew of the famous musician, Handel.

Wheelchair accesshearing loopfacebook

We acknowledge the Gunaikurnai people as the original custodians of this region.
The Cathedral and the other churches of the parish stand on the lands of the Gunaikurnai people.